One of my all time favourite treats are cinnamon rolls, cut me and I bleed cinnamon sugar! I absolutely love anything soft and doughy, mixed with the delicious spices and a gorgeous sweet and sticky glaze, they're just the ultimate for me. Something occurred to me the other day, I've never actually tried to make my own. I always thought they'd be daunting, I've never used yeast before, but it's actually relatively fuss free! I was so so pleased with how they came out, my first attempt at them, completely from scratch. I used a really easy method that means minimum proving and faffing about, they're so so delicious and you have to eat them hot from the oven!
For the dough -
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 packet instant yeast
½ cup water
¼ cup milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
For the filling -
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup light brown sugar
For the glaze -
1 cup icing sugar
3-4 tbsp water, until you get a runny texture
1. To make the dough: In a large bowl, mix the flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside.
2. In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted. Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead with hands for about 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C and turn off after 10 minutes or just before placing rolls in oven.
4. To make the filling: After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15x9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 9 even piece. Place in a lightly greased 9-inch round or square baking tin and lightly cover with foil.
5. Turn off the oven and place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes. Keep the buns in the oven remove the foil and turn on the oven to 190 degrees C. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
6. To make the glaze: Mix the icing sugar, and water together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.