I haven't made a traybake type cake in a while, after browsing my ridiculous cookbook collection I decided on a Blueberry Cinnamon Crumb Cake, I've made crumb cake before and it was super yummy and this one is just as nice! It's not overly sweet, the blueberries make it really interesting and the spicy crunchy crumble topping is delicious! It's really simple and quick to make too but looks great!
For the cake -
100g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
150g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the fruit layers and crumb topping-
1 tbsp cinnamon
4 tbsp demerera sugar
4 tbsp plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23cm square tin and line with parchment paper. Cream the butter and the sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy and light.
2. Add the vanilla and eggs, mixing after each addition. Mix in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt until thoroughly combined. Beat in the buttermilk until smooth.
3. Spoon half the batter into the prepared tin. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and scatter half over the cake, followed by half the berries. Repeat the layers.
4. For the crumb topping put the flour, salt and remaining cinnamon sugar and mix together, rub in the butter until the mixture looks like crumbs.
5. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the cake and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then lift out using the parchment and cool on a wire rack.
6. Dust the cake with icing sugar and slice into squares.