This was my first ever attempt at making bark and I was so pleased with how it turned out! It was super easy, I honestly thought it might be a bit of a faff or I wouldn't be able to get it out of the tin but that wasn't the case at all, it pretty much fell out of the tin! I think these look so cute, they would be amazing to give as gifts, wrap them up in some cellophane and tie with ribbon and a little tag, you're all set!
I think the crushed up candy canes on top just look so festive! The peppermint flavoured chocolate tastes so good! It's like eating a piece of Christmas! Also I'm obsessed with my new Santa Claus bowl and cup, so cute! I also picked up this new red teapot from Bill's from my trip to York, post coming soon! I definitely want to try out different flavour combinations in the future now I know how easy they are to make!
170g high quality milk chocolate, broken into pieces
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, divided
4 candy canes, crushed
2. You can either melt your chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave, I went fort the microwave, just make sure to only melt the chocolate 15 seconds at a time to avoid burning!
3. Melt 1/2 teaspoon of oil with about 170g of the white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Melt in 15 second blasts, stirring vigorously with a rubber spatula or spoon after each one, until completely melted and smooth. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl to avoid scorching.
4. Once melted, stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Pour melted white chocolate into the prepared baking tin, spreading with a spatula into a thin smooth layer. Place the baking tin in the refrigerator for 20 minutes until almost completely set. If it sets completely, the bark layers could separate.
5. Place the milk chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon of oil into a small heatproof bowl and microwave/stir in the same way you did previously. Once melted, stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Pour all of the milk chocolate over the white chocolate layer. Spread into a smooth layer. Place the baking tin back in the refrigerator for 20 minutes until almost completely set.
6. Place the remaining white chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small heatproof bowl and microwave/stir in the same way. Pour over the bark layers and spread into a smooth layer. (This layer will not have peppermint extract.) Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
7. Refrigerate the bark until completely hardened, at least 1 hour. Once hardened, remove from the pan and peel off the parchment. Break into pieces as large or as small as you want!