I've been meaning to make a carrot cake for the longest time, I always find something I want to bake more then it gets pushed back! Anyway I eventually decided to make one and I was really pleased with the outcome! It's a super moist cake and the cream cheese frosting is so yummy but not too heavy like some can be. Its so delicious and spicy, great for this time of year!
For the sponge -
Juice of 1 orange
85g wholemeal flour
85g self raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
170g soft light brown sugar
125ml sunflower oil
170g carrots, peeled and grated
55g walnuts, chopped
For the cream cheese frosting -
85g full fat cream cheese
30g butter, softened
230g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C, Gas Mark 6. Grease and line 2 20cm cake tins.
2. Mix both flours, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
3. Whisk the eggs and combine them with the oil, add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the carrots, walnuts and orange juice until evenly distributed.
4. Spoon the mixture into both tins evenly, and spread out. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the frosting. Whisk the cheese until soft and fluffy. Beat in the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread on the top of one cake, sandwich the other on top and spread across the top. Decorate with walnuts.